I’m all about DIY, and it’s a great way of making something completely unique and pretty inexpensive.
Budget accessories are definitely full of winning and are so very simple to make with the results being absolutely perfect every time because there are absolutely no rules – just jump right in!
I went searching for budget make and do and found this great tutorial for a collage pendant, the whole thing is as cheap as buying a new piece.
To create the collage part you need paper – everything from scrapbook to wrapping paper. Junk mail, magazines, greeting cards etc. Grab yourself a load of charms and rhinestones! Sparkles are a must have for this – just make sure they’re small enough to fit on top of the charm. You’ll need some stringing material like leather cord, ribbon, chain or ball chain or simply attach to a necklace you already own.
In total you will need;
Podgeable clear pendant shape; these are the newest part of the Mod Podge range. I’ve been searching and as yet I cannot find any of the mod podge range in the UK which really annoys me, but a quick search online for “Mod Podge” will come up with everything you need. I found these on the Plaid store but a search on any well known online marketplace will turn up the same stuff from UK suppliers.
- Collage papers
- Mod Podge Gloss
- Foam Paintbrush
- Craft Glue
- Charms and Rhinestones
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
- Jump Rings
- Jewellery pliers
- Necklace clasp
The next part is really simple!
- Cut the background paper which fits the top of the clear acrylic podgeable shape.
- Cut smaller images to layer on the background.
- Apply a coat of mod podge gloss to the shape and to the back of the background paper.
- Position the background paper onto the shape and press with your fingers.
- Allow to dry for fifteen minutes.
- Apply mod podge gloss to the back of the smaller cut pieces and layer them on top of the background paper.
- Top coat it all with a layer of mod podge and allow to dry for another fifteen minutes.
- Using craft glue attatch your charms and rhinestones to the dried design and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Top coat the collaged podgeable shape with a layer of Dimensional Magic which will give a hard and glassy finish.
- Allow to dry for six hours
- Attach a clasp to the necklace chain, and attach a jump ring through the hole in the podgeable pendant then slide onto the chain.
BOOM, one necklace that nobody else will have, and it’s not just necklaces you can make earrings, bracelets, hair pins, key chains…anything you can think of.